Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sunday Scraps


Don't Look Now...

In the last few years the Pacific Division has been composed of three teams that are amongst the best in the league and two also-rans. This season seemed to be shaping up in a similar fashion, but over the last month the Phoenix Coyotes (who the Sharks outscored 15-1 over a three-game stretch in November) have put together a good run of hockey and now have 47 points, putting them squarely in the playoff hunt. They are only five points behind the Ducks with three games in hand. Like San Jose, Phoenix has been playing very well on the road, and they bounced back from a 5-2 loss at Edmonton on Thursday with a 4-3 victory at Vancouver the next night.

The Coyotes are at the X over in St. Paul this afternoon...I'm eager to get a look at this team, and I half considered going over there to check them out, but I'm moving to a new apartment in a few days and am busy with the associated packing. Also, of course, Coyotes-Wild conflicts with Sharks-Ducks tonight.


Light, Unsatisfying Snack or Famine

Speaking of the defending champs, it seems like every time San Jose and Anaheim face off, either it's a really close game decided by a late goal or a shootout, or the Ducks blow the Sharks out of the water. Just for once I'd like to blow them out of the water. (You'd think a Shark could take a Duck, after all... Maybe not a Mighty Duck, but certainly a regular Duck...)


Fave Goal?

I'm trying to decide what San Jose goal over the first half of the season has been my favorite. It's either this one by Marleau off a pass that only Big Joe could make, or this one by Torrey Mitchell. I'm leaning towards the one by Mitchell, because I admire the way he played through the foul and also because that particular goal was so crucial in that particular game.


Movin'

As I mentioned earlier, I'm moving to a new apartment this week. The associated chaos is likely to disrupt both my viewing of games and my posting for a short time. But I'll be back to normal soon.

Gotta get packing. Go Sharks!

No comments: