Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Bogeymen


I'm surrounded by boxes and clutter in my apartment, and I still have some work I want to get done tonight, but I do want to make a few comments about tonight's 4-3 overtime loss to the Anaheim Ducks.

1. AAAARGH!!

2. Remember, this was basically a tie. Anaheim gets the extra point in the standings for winning the cool little exhibition that follows a tie.

3. Overall, the Sharks played a strong game tonight. The spirit and the effort were there. As I've alluded to before, this team still seems to save its biggest mistakes for the very worst times, but honestly I'd rather lose because of mistakes than because of a lack of hard work.

4. Alexei Semenov has been a healthy scratch for the last several games for a reason. Let's hope Kyle McLaren gets better quick.

5. Thomas Greiss played well pretty well tonight. What a way to start your NHL career, huh? Against the defending champs in their building. He looked like a rookie goalie during Anaheim's first serious attack, and his anxious flopping contributed to Bertuzzi's goal, but I thought he really came into his own during the Ducks' power play early in the second period. He cannot be faulted on the game-tying goal.

6. Loving Torrey Mitchell, Mike Grier, and Curtis Brown on the penalty kill. The defensive skills and hockey savvy of the veterans are very nicely complemented by the rookie's speed and counterattacking ability.

Okay, that's all for now. Time to continue putting things in boxes...

No comments: