Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Box Score Blogger


My internet connectivity is still "transitional" with the move, but as long as I'm hot-internet-connection-adjacent at the moment (sitting in an empty and horribly dusty room at my just-vacated apartment) I thought I'd post a few comments on last night's 5-3 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes.

This was the first game I haven't watched since I started this blog, so I'm reduced to commenting upon the box score. What can one really tell from a box score? Not much, especially not in ice hockey, where a player can have a very strong game and make little impact on the score sheet. However, that won't stop me from making a series of Reckless Inferences...

Fact: Phoenix won.
Reckless Inference: The Coyotes are evolving into a pretty decent team. Their recent hot streak has ended, but they've followed up their two most recent losses (at Edmonton and at Minnesota) with strong wins (at Vancouver and home to the Sharks). Every team loses, but good teams avoid making it a habit.

Fact: Sandis Ozolinsh replaced Alexei Semenov in the lineup.
Reckless Inference: This is the first thing I checked when I drilled down from the NHL mainpage at Yahoo! Sports to the actual box score. Alexei Semenov is not a quality defenseman and Ron Wilson knows it.

Fact: The Sharks gave up two goals in the first minute of both the second and third periods.
Reckless Inference: The troubling habit this team has of coming out of locker rooms flat and unprepared continues.

Fact: Evegeni Nabokov gave up five goals.
Reckless Inference: This is one statistic where the numbers really can't be relied upon to tell the story. I didn't watch the game, so I really can't comment on how well or poorly Nabby played. In any event, he's been having a lights-out season, but the team can't be dependent upon him giving up two goals or less in every game...it's too much to ask. The Sharks need to find some consistent scoring. There, how's that for a reckless inference?

No comments: