Sunday, February 17, 2008

"Intensity! A Sense of Urgency! Desperation!"


"Things lacking from the San Jose Sharks' game?"

Yes! Congratulations, Bob, you've made it top of the pyramid!

Okay, you know if I start referencing cheesy game shows that must mean I'm looking for new ways to say something I've said a thousand times. The opponents of the San Jose Sharks just seem to want it more.

I developed a theory about this today as I watched the Sharks lose 3-1 to the New York Rangers, thus starting their critical eight-game road trip on very much the wrong foot. If I look at the standings, at the time of writing, I see that in both conferences there are eight teams that either A) are currently in playoff position but are within four points of falling out, or B) are currently out of the playoffs but are within four points of being in. In other words, for sixteen teams--more than half the league--the playoffs are already underway.

The Rangers are one of those teams and they seem to understand the situation, based upon the intensity, sense of urgency, and desperation they brought to the Madison Square Garden today. The Sharks--don't look now--are also one of those teams...yes, it's true, the Sharks are mere points away from being out of playoff position entirely. But they're not playing like they understand this. I get the sense, frankly, that they feel like they're entitled to a playoff spot based upon their talent level and great road record alone.

Put two hockey teams on a common ice sheet, when one is playing for their season and the other is coasting until spring, and you'll get...well, you'll pretty much get what we saw this afternoon.

One member of the team--I've decided I'm not going to say who, to avoid singling anybody out, although it's hardly a secret, you can look it up if you want--was quoted as saying, of the Rangers, "Defensively I think we played well. They were forechecking, and it was surprising a little bit how hard they played." (My emphasis.)

Jiminy Christmas, guys. I'm as big a San Jose Sharks fan as you'll find, I love the team and always will, but you guys owe it to yourselves to take a look in the mirror and dig down deep and find the psychological and emotional resources to perform an attitude adjustment. In hockey as in life, guts and heart offer no guarantee of a happy ending, but no team will succeed without them. You guys are simply too good to let a promising season slide into mediocrity because everyone else in the league wanted it more. I know you don't want that, and I know I don't want to watch that.

Islanders tomorrow.

1 comment:

Heavy Critters said...

It's like you're a Twins fan! Except, you know, for the hockey part.