Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cheechoo Hat Trick. 'Nuff Said.


I spent this evening hanging with my fantasy football buddies (yes, for those who may be wondering, I am in a fantasy hockey league...but I do play fantasy football as well, because, you know, it's the law) and getting my posterior handed to me at poker, so I missed tonight's 4-3 victory over Nashville. When I checked the score on my cell phone after going all in and getting stomped, I didn't have to look far for the exciting news of the night, which of course is Jonathan Cheechoo's hat trick. He's been playing noticeably better hockey for several games now (as I've noted in this blog), and the feeling that he's finally back on track is growing continually stronger.

If the Sharks continue to get the strong defense and goaltending that they have had all year, and continue to get brilliant work from Big Joe (three helpers tonight) as they have all year, and add to that regular goal production from Cheechoo, they become a team that even the best teams in the West will have trouble with. Catching the Red Wings at this point is too much to ask, but winning the Pacific and getting the #2 seed in the playoffs seem like very legitimate and achievable goals.


Congrats to Coach Wilson...

...on becoming just the eleventh coach in NHL history to reach the 500-win mark. When you read that he's now tied with the legendary Toe Blake, that really makes you sit up and take notice. I'll admit I've done a bit of grumbling about Coach Wilson now and again over the years of his tenure in San Jose, but tying someone like Toe Blake in career coaching wins is one hell of an accomplishment. Well done, Coach.


2 comments:

JDA said...

Indeed. And with Choo-choo, I will defeat you (in fantasy hockey.

Chris said...

Can't think of anyone I'd rather be defeated by... :)