Monday, February 18, 2008

Glad I Missed That One


The Sharks blew a two-goal third-period lead today on Long Island and lost to the Isles 3-2. The game was an afternoon matinee, and I was at work, so at least I didn't witness the debacle.

Evgeni Nabokov took a hard slap shot off the mask in the second period, sustaining what sounds like it was a pretty bad cut. He went to the locker room and got stitches, then came back at the start of the third period and gave up all three New York goals.

Since I didn't see the game, I am not in a position to judge whether or not Nabokov's injury may have contributed to any of the goals he gave up. So I don't know for sure if this was just an ordinary, garden-variety third-period collapse, or if Nabby went back in when maybe he should've been taking the rest of the day off. The latter would suggest that Ron Wilson really doesn't trust his backup goalie (Thomas Greiss, today). Either way, it's bad news.

After the last-minute loss against Calgary last week, I worried aloud in this space about the Sharks going into a funk similar to the one they experienced after a nearly identical loss to Anaheim earlier in the season.

Well, in the three games since losing to the Flames, the Sharks have yet to earn a point.


No comments: