Wednesday, April 23, 2008

How I See the Dallas Stars




I grew up in Northern Wisconsin, on the shores of Lake Superior, but my family has Twin Cities roots, especially on my mom's side. As a consequence I largely grew up a fan of Minnesota sports teams...the Twins, the various Golden Gopher teams, occasionally the Vikings (although some time around Super Bowl XIV I discarded this allegiance in favor of the Los Angeles Rams--my concern with scrimmage football has always been somewhat fleeting and unsteady), and, of course the Minnesota North Stars.

The North Stars were my team. I used to get down to the old Met in Bloomington occasionally and watch them play, often with my mom's brothers. I have vivid memories of the extraordinary upset of the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round of the 1991 playoffs--I was house/dog-sitting for my uncle at the time, and listened to the action on the radio. That victory initiated a playoff run that took the North Stars all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals, where they at last lost to a Pittsburgh Penguins team that included Mario Lemieux (even though Lemieux scored this goal against my guys in that final, I distinctly remember admiring it at the time) and a certain guy who is currently on the New York Rangers' roster.

Those familiar with the history of the NHL no doubt know where this is going. In 1993, the North Stars moved to Dallas, dropped the "North", and became the team the Sharks are about to play in the Western Conference Semis. It was like having a body part violently amputated. I was angry. I felt betrayed, particularly after that Cup run and all the emotion I had invested in it. Fans in Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hartford know what I'm talking about.

Occasionally, as I grow older, a little voice pops up in my head and says "Dude...chill. You have the Sharks, Minnesota has a team again, and, face it, hockey has been a hit in Dallas. The entire experience made you the fan you are today. Where's the foul?" The voice makes some good points, but whenever I hear it I shoo it away like an irritating insect. Instead of heeding it I nurse the deep, bitter grudge I feel towards the Stars. I gloat with every victory over Dallas and feel stricken with every defeat at their hands. I thank the hockey gods that they are in the same division as the Sharks, because I relish every opportunity to play them during the regular season. Getting them in the playoffs is even better.

(Although I gotta admit that Bad Sharks Penalty Killing + Sergei Zubov Returning From Injury = SCAR-EEEEYY! Gulp...)

No comments: