Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Heavy Artillery Is In Reserve


This is my named-and-numbered San Jose Sharks sweater that I bought at the Sharks Store in Cupertino, California in 1994:



(Yes, it is a #6 sweater, but no, it does not say Ozolinsh on the back.)

I was wearing this when the Sharks beat the Wings in '94, and I wore it regularly for many years. Several years ago some kind friends of mine gave me a Sharks sweater in the updated style as a Christmas present. They were apologetic that is was blank, rather than having my name on it, but I told them this was actually a good thing...several visits to the X to see the Sharks play the Wild taught me that going into an enemy crowd wearing a sweater with your name on the back is leading with your chin.

As the years have gone on, and especially now that I have another teal sweater to wear, I have worn this old one less and less. It has become quite beloved to me--I own no other garment to which I feel anywhere near the level of sentimental attachment that I feel towards it. It's sturdy, but I do not wish to wear it out. I typically break it out for the first game of the season, then leave it in the closet for the rest of the year....barring Special Occasions.

If the Sharks can win tonight and somehow send this series back to the Tank, I'll be wearing it to work on Tuesday...

No comments: